Tuesday, October 14, 2008

“Say that again.”
“The research reported in this paper... it shows promise...”
“And will be described next?”
“It doesn’t matter... and then in parentheses ‘Chapter Two’. The problem is when I read Chapter Two, I don’t have a clue. But it’s an empty title. Write a new one: Preliminary, Initial Study, My Follow-up.”
“But I can’t have that many titles. I want the title to be the title of the manuscript. But the whole damn paragraph is telling you.”
“If yer telling me in Table 1... But Table 1 is not a meaningful title. That’s it. “
“Alright, well lets just figure out... Cut out all that preamble... across the studies and things like that.”
“That might help. Yeah, that’s not bad. Yeah, just step back.”
“What? Step back? I try to... Didn’t think about my dissertation at all... contaminate... it actually worked out really nicely... If they make it here... Ohmygod it’s ridiculous... I didn’t see that before... be in the same orientation.”
“The landscape page... This is the portrait. Is it this way or this way?”
“Yeah, that’s how I did it. My concern is... the amount of time... section one... preliminary section where we analyse. So there’s that whole section.”
“When’s this due?”
“A week. I need a plan. I need a plan. The problem that I see with it... remembering prior actions and the next paragraph is saying specifically, retrospective memory has never been tested. We’re gonna show the results as we did before... Prospective memory is usually like this... measured... the new data... Data revamped? Recycled? Who’s doing it? This is what I mean. This paper is in your hands.”
“Still working on it. And I hope I’m gonna be feeling good enough to do some work. As soon as I have that discussion part I’ll send it to you. Then there’s only the introduction.”
“Polish that up. And I’m absolutely right on the ball and go from there.”
“I’m thinking to really get this done... over the weekend.”
“You’re not allowed to be sick! Not right now.”
“And so... yeah...”
“Doctor’s apartment.”
“So tell me... conference call. That one, 1:30?”
“Yeah, tentatively.:.”
“Yeah, remember this is the new deal.”

No comments: