Thursday, January 18, 2007

“I see, right. That would do it, wouldn’t it. I wonder how that could’ve happened. Didn’t we have them removed from her ward?”
“I think one of her friends might have smuggled them in. I’ve been trying to talk to her about it. Quite a few visitors seem to be able to smuggle them in. I was wondering if we could do something about that. They don’t seem to understand the dangers -”
“Soon we’ll have to start patting down the visitors to the catatonics. Heh, heh.”
She’s beginning to gather up her docs. She’s leaving already. How can she be leaving?
“You’ve got me down for a full hour, right? I think we’ve taken care of all we can for now. I’ve a ribbon-cutting ceremony that I need to get to. You understand.”
Again, that lilt. Almost as if she’s asking a question. It’s not the case that she isn’t sure of herself. Does she want me to believe that she isn’t? She is standing at the door.
Just remember that “cocaine intoxication and phencoyclidine (pcp) intoxication may cause a similar clinical picture, and can be distinguished from Amphetamine Intoxication by the presence of amphetamine metabolites in a urine specimen or amphetamine in plasma.”
She looks at me strangely. Did I just say that out loud or what?! Maro, help. Keep it together for me.
“Did you say something?”
She’s looking at me, looking at me. C’mon, think of something cool.
“Oh, I was just thinking about something else.”
“Did you want to talk about it?”
She’s looking at her watch. A good sign.
“Oh, no. I’s just about my next appointment.”
She frowns at me, mocking concern.
“Well, YOU let me know if there’s something that YOU’d like to talk about.”
“Oh, yeah. Fer sure.”
“Alright. I’ll see you later then.”
She’s gone. She is gone. My head is in my hands again. I must be tired. I must be upset. When have I ever been anythin other than tired and upset? Where’s my mirror? Hmm. It doesn’t look any longer. Betta measure it an record it anyway. Gotta keep track o’my own ailments now, don’t I? But de grin is still there. Da’s somethin, at least. Through it all, my grin will see me through. Da grin remains da same. FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! What the fuck is wrong with me!? FUCK!!!
I gotta shut down. I gotta shut down for just a little bit, ok? Maro, gawd! What am I supposed to do?! I gotta find JoE. Gotta talk to JoE bout all o’his dog shit. Man, he lucky to even be’llowed to even keep a pet here, never min somethin so fuckin vicious. He knows I gotta visit him in his room.

Here we go.
“Although animals appear to be increasingly incorporated into correctional programming, the research regarding the potential therapeutic effects of animals and what we know about PAPs has yet to be completed.”
Sounds like a good Ph.D. thesis, eh Maro?
“The programs in most provinces are most commonly of a community service design that uses dogs. Livestock care/prison farms have emerged as a unique type. Animal-based therapy has been used as an effective intervention with those who have been physically or sexually abused, and people with chronic mental illness.”
Well, interesting literature. I’m sure dat’ll help me to make a case for JoE keepin Berus. Anyway, NOW will you pull up my meeting recordins wid JoE, PLEASE Maro? Oh, thanks. Maybe da’s all I had to do, huh?

No comments: