Thursday, February 1, 2007

Hey, Maro. I’m tryin to prep for meetin wid Carey: bone lesions present at birth, failure to thrive.
-anorexia, vomiting, irritability, and intermittent fever, renal damage
What else we got on Carey?

Dear Mom,
I’m having a really good time here.
I’m writing this while I’m eating grapes on a velvet windowseat. Just looking out and watching the people.
The people here are very friendly and very kind.
I love all their villages with all their little shops.
How are things at home?
I hope everything’s going well. Yesterday Leslie and I went on a tour of the third floor. They say that the third floor is supposed to give the new things in there a true appearance. They don’t allow any plants on the third floor. They say there are frightful tools of justice on the third floor.
We had lots of fun.
Well, I guess I’d better go. Leslie’s calling me for lunch.
With love from Carey

She does cherish her own way of expressing herself, and her own way of living, her own interests an peculiarities. So what do we do? Re-work her well-developed mannerisms, interests and peculiarities until dey fit in wid everybody elses? I have no idea. Nothin seems right to me here. So Carey is now #090308.

She definitely has some sort of overanxious disorder. Here it is...

Dear Cary,
It was so nice to get your card but I can’t remember if that was the square or not, you see my Mother and I were there in June 1928.
It is beginning to look like ‘Fall’ is here The walnut trees are almost bare and the sugar maple in the front yard has the autumn red leaves and losing some. The squirrels are busy - don’t know if one was planting a walnut or digging up a tulip bulb when it was so busy in my flower bed.
The golden rod is past the flower stage and now in the seed one. Whole fields are covered with it
Mac and Shirley had a good time while they were here
It was a good thing they stayed at your home as it was very hot and my air conditioner was next to the bed they would use They had supper with us Sat. Sept. 10th We all met at your place on Sun. 11th even the baby Seirra. She looks like Eric - then Monday they went to Kleinberg - Tues to Fenwick to see Mac’s cousin Jack Bush and later after having Kentucky Fried Chicken with me - went to see your old home at Sandy Bay. Then picked up your mother and went to Port Dover for a fish dinner. Wed they went to St. Jacob’s to see the ‘old village, Shirley is very interested in a Pioneer Village project, Wed night they came to say ‘Goodby’ and left at 7am for Washington D.C. so I didn’t see much of them. I suppose by now ‘French’ is getting easy for you. In Haldimand they are putting more pupils in a class and cutting the staffs but they had to advertise for 2 French teachers. Altho its only 3pm its getting dark - another thunderstorm - we’ve had a week of mixed weather
I will close now - I loved getting your card and I do hope you will be happy with your new friends -
Much much love
Grandma



#151201 is twitchin quite a bit. She probably don like me or somethin. Maybe she’s jonzin for de solvents she so used to huffin. Ain gonna get any o’dat shit in here.
“Carey.”
She is’o damn spaced-out.
“Hey. Hey! Look at me, girl. Can you hear what I’m sayin?”
“Yeh. No. I don’t think so.”
“...”
“What. Yer kickin me out now aren’t you. I knew it. I knew it all along. You don wanna hear it... Nobody ever wants to fucking hear about it, ever. No matter what --”
“You’re wrong, Carey. I do want to hear about what you have to tell me. But I don’t want you to feel forced into anything. So, what we’re gonna do. We’re gonna schedule another appointment tomorrow at de same time, ok? I’s really important that you tell the truth --”
“I AM NOT FUCKIN LYING!!!”
“Yeah.”
“So, bit by bit, every day, we’re gonna help you to let a little bit of it go at a time. But you have to be as truthful as possible, no matter how bad or good it is. It doesn’t matter. Ok?”
“OK.”
“Alright. I’m gonna try to help you the best that I can. I’m gonna promise you that. But, you have to promise me something in return.”

“What?”
“All you gotta do is promise me dat you won’try to hurt yourself or anyone else between now an tomorrow when we meet again. Ok? Think you can do that?”
“Yeah.”
“Give me a handshake. ”
“Ok.”
She puts her sticky sweaty palm into mine an dat was dat.

She ain’t hurt anyone since, which I’m pretty glad about.
Lately, Carey been thinkin bout some Kent fellow.

“Things between Kent and I are going really well. He and I went to Six Nations... Great America with my brothers last week. I got... Rollercoastering with through... through... even LIKED... he got... with wife and son... to Chicago... visit because... other brother is graduating... University of Chicago. He’s going to be a doctor!! So last week the whole family, and of course Kent spent lots and lots, well too much family time together.”


No comments: