Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fortunately, I have an idea. I pick up Joe's walking stick, at the same time I glance out the closest window through which I can still see the Doc's cabin. No sign of life there.
"Carry this inside your sarape like it's a shotgun. They'll never know the difference."
"But they're arms men."
"Exactly. Like I said, they'll never know the difference. Follow directly behind me, back to back, no matter what happens."
"Always a pleasure, my dear."
As soon as I step outside the saloon door I yell, "Throw up your hands, you rotten old cowboys!"
Together, we march out into the middle of the street. Joe stays right behind me, carryin the stick just the way I told him to. Chester runs towards us declaring that he "ain't armed". I can't tell if this is some kinda trick so I'm relieved when Joe whips out the staff and uses it to put Chester in a choke hold.
"Stay with me!" I'm tryin to speak to Joe over my shoulder as I start heading down the street to Doc Hubbleworth's place. It's like we're moving in some kinda strange sandwich race: me and Joe are still back to back, and he's dragging Chester along with us. I'm not sure what sort of scene I'll encounter upon opening Doc's front door, but I don't want him to know we're about to pay a visit.
"Joe, callate!"
My Spanish is not very good, but I think he gets the point. We're approachin the Doc's veranda, I'm preparing myself to kick in his door, when I see it open a crack. I immediately stop, thinkin that the muzzle of a gun is gonna peak its way out. Instead, I see bloody fingers clutching at the edge of the door frame.
"Dammit!" I'm cursin out loud, believin that we're too late and the Doc's already completed his day's work, but it's the customs officer cautiously backing through the front door. Maybe the Doc finally got what's comin to him? Not bloody likely. "Just the man I wanted to see! You run on down, now and get the General. Bring'im back here. He'll sort this mess out." I feel that I am jubilant, though I'm not quite certain I understand the meanin o'the word. The customs officer is startled, but ready to run, as he was probably about to do in any case. I just hope he's able to bring the General up here in time.
"Uh, Carey? Nosotros tenemos mas influencia sin que el general."
I'm thinkin back to that one semester of beginner's Spanish. It's not enough.
"Joe, yo sé que tú no quieres estar aquí con el general. Salir de entre nosotros y entrar en la casa del médico."
I'm not sure if that's right, but I know that it's at least a valiant effort. I'm slowly turning around so that I'm facing Joe and Chester. I reach around Joe and place my hands beside his on the staff that's holding Chester in check. Joe makes sure that I've got a good grip then he slowly ducks down, crouching all the way, he creeps through the Doc's front door. As soon as Chester realizes that I'm the one holding him he starts squirming around like the snake that he is. I bring my left leg up right between his, hard and fast enough to bring'im to his knees. In an instant, Chester is all but dangling from the staff, as my choke hold is the only thing that's keeping him from collapsing to the ground.

I thought for sure that Doc would've locked his front door. Is that not an important part of his modus operandi? Perhaps he is slipping. If he's already done for, my own work here will go so much more smoothly. I'm getting tired of holding Chester up. If I apply just a little more pressure, he'll pass out and I can drag him into Doc's hut. If I apply too much pressure then I won't have to worry about Chester at all anymore, though I may have to worry about the General. I can only give him so much at one time.

No comments: